We love Timi Dakolo, don’t we all? That rich baritone voice captured our hearts right from when he won the Idol West Africa back in 2007 down to the delectable songs he has released over the years, reflecting love, passion and patriotism. Did we mention that we love his beautiful family too?
So, yeah we love Dakolo because he is all about good music but did you also know these tidbits about him? Let’s see how many of these you already know.
- Despite his unflinching love for Nigeria, this Great Nation crooner’s mother is actually Ghanaian. He was even born there but does not claim dual citizenship.
- There were once rumours that there was beef between him and Darey, the popular RnB singer but don’t you worry; it was all rumours and nothing else (thank God we the fans don’t have to pick a side, right?)
- On January 1, 2008 shortly after his West Africa Idol win, Dakolo was shot in the lobby of a hotel in Port Harcourt by suspected Niger Delta militants though he is said not to have been the target of the attack. Gladly, it was only a flesh wound but then this means he has a cool story to tell people.
- Dakolo was at a point caught in a copyright battle with the extraordinary Majek Fashek for the song, ‘No Woman, No Cry’ which was originally sung by the latter but re-recorded and released in 2013 by Dakolo. Fashek accused Dakolo of not seeking permission but Dakolo and even November Record label have denied the allegations (phew! Thank God).
- Dakolo met his wife at a church function and though he had already won the Idol competition at the time, she did not know who he was. Talk about marrying for love and not fame!
by Angie for The Deliberate | ©2017 Deliberate Gist